HOW I STYLE MY HAIR: CREATING LOOSE WAVY CURLS WITH GHD STYLE & PROTECT GIFT SET & A STRAIGHTENING IRON!

Sunday, 26 May 2013

My favourite way to style my hair is long, loose, wavy curls. I can never quite achieve the look at home that a hairdresser can give me, however I have learned from them how to use straighteners on my hair to create a similar wavy style (perfect when you don't have curling tongs!)


I was gifted this lovely set from GHD, the Style & Protect gift set. It came in this pretty sleek black box, I couldn't wait to see what goodies were inside! 



The set comes with the GHD Paddle BrushGHD Straight & Smooth SprayGHD Final Shine Spray and two GHD sectioning clips. So keen to try this lot out, I got straight to washing my hair! (I'm currently using the Tresemme Keratin Smooth shampoo and conditioner which is also rather good I might add!). 



The Straight and Smooth Spray has the most delicious smell, I can't really describe it other than "it smells like the hairdressers" - it has the same smell that reminds me of expensive salon products! The bottle advises using 4-6 sprays on towel dried hair (but I used twice this amount as mine is thick!) The great thing about this is it's also a heat protection spray as well as a straightening spray, so no need for two separate products, and you can also use it on dry hair prior to straightening.


I then combed through using the GHD Paddle Brush very easily (I know you're not supposed to but I don't hesitate to brush my hair when it's wet, I just do it very gently with a large brush like this and it's SO easy to de-tangle, if I used a wide tooth comb like magazines advise I'd be here all day!) This is the perfect brush for a sleek and straight blow dry - I started going through each side with wide sections of hair pulled straight, gradually taking the hairdryer down with the brush on each stroke. Sectioning clips help keep the top layers out of the way to reach the underneath!


I give the roots a quick blast upwards to prevent it falling flat! 
Then hair is dry. Fluffy and puffy, but dry! 


My hair is naturally really frizzy, thick and with a slight curl but smooth roots... so for it to blow dry this smooth and straight-ish all over is amazing! The smoother I can get it with the blow dry, the easier and quicker it is to style with the straighteners!


I use a really old Remington pair of straighteners that I've had for years, but these are ideal as they have a curved barrel. I only crank them up to around 200C (I try not to use it on the max. 230C where possible!) They're so old though... should probably invest in some GHD's! With each section I straighten slowly but twist, and hold this twist all the way down. This gives a loose curl! Keep the same direction for the same wave, or mix it up for messier curls. Continue all over the hair...


When it comes to my fringe (mine is a side swept, very long one!) the hairdresser taught me to straighten twisted backwards away from my forehead. When the hair is dropped, it gives this lovely loose curl that helps any grown out hair blend in.


And finally... add GHD Final Shine Spray! This is a very fine mist and with a nice salon smell that leaves a very light shiny, non-greasy finish! I like this a lot, but I don't think it will last me long!


All done!

Overall I really love this set and think it would make a fab gift for someone. In my opinion it is a little pricey at £39, but if you add up the cost of the individual items it actually saves you quite a bit, plus it comes in this very nice and sturdy gift box! I'm sure any GHD fan would LOVE it. I did notice a difference in using the products for blow drying in particular - anything that helps decrease the hugeness of my un-styled hair is a winner for me and this does help on that front!

To view heaps more hairstyles by GHD, see here and for their full range of fab products see here - I soooo have my eye on one of those lovely hairdryers... the GHD Air!
post signature

13 comments:

  1. Very cute look, I struggle to curl my hair too could never get it to look this good.

    Lauren
    livinginaboxx
    bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, it can be fiddly getting just the right curl that you want! x

      Delete
  2. really love these curls
    http://www.joannavictoria.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair is so pretty! And what a helpful post lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to reinvest in some GHDs. I usually style my hair with a flat iron but the curved sides of them would make styling my hair so much easier! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does! I used to have a large flat one made to straighten more hair in one go, but you couldn't possibly curl with it. A curved one is great! Would love the gold pair of GHD's... heehee! x

      Delete
  5. I love all the colours in your hair, so many different shades and tones, beautiful! And this style is so lovely, natural and bouncy. The step by step pics are so helpful! xx
    Visit The Other Side Of Cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah such a lovely comment, thank you! I always try to ask for 2 different tones of blonde out through it when I have my foil highlights done... mixes it up a bit! x

      Delete
  6. Such a nice post and your hair looks lovely. Mine is super straight so the max I can get my hair to curl is like 2-3 hours and that too if the weather isn't humid.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are wonderful and I lovingly read every single one. I'll check out your blog if you leave a subtle little link below your comment ;-) Dayner x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground